Sunday, November 26, 2017

Thelma Todd Autograph




Posted by Jax Linton in the Thelma Todd Fans group on facebook:

From my grandmother Adrienne(Godin) Lister's autograph book Lawrence MA in 1921. It was from Lawrence High School. They were neighbors and school chums.





This reads, "When you are married,
And stand over the tub,
Don't forget your friend far away,
And please remember me
with every rub.
Thelma Todd
Feb. 16, 1921 Class ( of ) '23"


                                         *                        *                          *

I would interpret the part about standing over the tub to being a reference to giving a baby a bath, but they also used to wash clothes by hand in a washtub. I remember seeing an old woman washing clothes in a tub with a scrub board when I was small, but I think that must have been an archaic practice in these parts even then.



A

No comments:

Post a Comment