Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cartoons

A



My brother Dale has a blog called "Cedar and Willow",  some of which has to do with a fictional character he says is like Thelma Todd.

http://cedar-and-willow.blogspot.com/


Here is an idea I had for a comic book version of Thelma Todd.






That was actually a detail from this line-up of  "The Laurel And Hardy Gang". Jimmy Finlayson was supposed to be "Hamko the Detective" ( something from one of his films ), Thelma Todd was supposed to be his niece ( something from SEAL SKINS ), and Laurel and Hardy were some sort of stupid sidekicks.


Later on, I drew a funnier-looking version of Laurel and Hardy. And instead of  Thelma Todd, I said they were around the blonde who I was already drawing in comics, who happened to have a mean old Scottish father.*

Copied right by Benny Drinnon 

The funny-looking versions were drawn off  this picture, which was reprinted in Randy Skretvedt's LAUREL AND HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES.



Charley Brown is not a character that I own, of course. The little dog is my character I draw in comics, I sometimes draw him with Charley Brown because he looks something like Snoopy. I sent one story I did with these characters to Hal Roach for a birthday present.




The above drawing was done because of this one that someone did with Laurel and Hardy.




A detail from "Walter Long's muscle course". According to the ad, this course would teach you how to twist guys heads around so they'd be looking south while walking north, and do other fine tricks such as Walter Long frequently threatened to do to Laurel and Hardy in the films ( and sometimes did ). The girl with him in the ad is supposed to be Mae Busch, who appeared with Walter Long and Laurel and Hardy in GOING BYE-BYE.





I have some problems with the Wold Newton fantasy, because it's proponents are deliberately misrepresenting other people's characters and insisting that their pirate version is correct. Here is a parody I did with my blonde character:



PHILLIP JOSE DA FARMER AND HIS WOLD NEWTON FANTASY

A non-family album on account of it ain't my family, wit useful comments by da Blonde herself.





Farmer Da Farmer Man
Brunged togedder a lotta books and didn't pay no attention to any of dem afterwoids. His main reason for havin' dem around was da idea dat dey was doity books and dat a farmer needs plenty of doit.


IN DA BEGINNING ( Farmer voision )




 
Grisley Adams and Daddy
Da foist man is supposed to has a "Daddy", who presumably is "God" in dis setup. Da total lack of da debbil in dis story is because Farmer didn't t'ink he needed help to t'ink up all da debbiltry.



Pairadice
Da story goes dat da foist man could shoot craps all he wanted, but he was missin' a mate at foist





Appleless Family Tree
Eadie Addams ate da family out of house and home, not to mention Pairadice.



NOT YOUR OLD MAN'S MEMOIRS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES




Sherlock Holmes
ain't got no kids in dose stories, Farmer to da contrary. He always is.





Gerlock-holmes
can'tcha spell "goil" ?






Mickey Rathbone
can'tcha spell "Mickey Ratbone"?



PARADICE REVISITED, OR DA DOMINO LADY SHOWS HER SPOTS



I t'ought da idea in dis setup was dat Shoilock was my ancestor? Here he is wit me now!!!



TARZAN WAS A REAL SWINGER, BUT HE DON'T SWING DA WAY FARMER SAYS




Tarzan Family Tree
Farmer claims to be from a long line of heroes, but "Boy" ain't even da son of Tarzan in dat movie. Shows how much dat Farmer knows.




Da Farmer takes a wife

Now he's got it dat my best friend's my mummy!




Farmer Family - Farmer, wife, and son
He forgot da story is supposed to be about "Da Farmer's Daughter"!





Farmer's Daughter
Many stories has been told of da Farmer's daughter, alla which Farmer was ignorat of. Along wit everyting else.
A BIG HORSE LAUGH FOR ALLA DAT STUFF!!!
HEE-HAW! HEE-HAW! HEE-HAW!




* This refers to my notes. Laurel and Hardy haven't appeared in the actual comics with the blonde yet as of this writing.



A

No comments:

Post a Comment