HELLO POP, a "lost" Three Stooges film, was found in Australia and has come home to this country once more.
A little about this film.
|Directed by||Jack Cummings|
|Written by||Ted Healy|
Albertina Rasch Dancers
|Music by||Irving Berlin (song: "I’m Sailing on a Sunbeam")|
|Running time||17' 43"|
PlotTed Healy is a producer trying to stage an elaborate musical revue. His efforts are constantly interrupted by demanding back stage personalities: a flaky musician (Henry Armetta), a less-than-cooperative girl friend (Bonnie Bonnell), and a trio of raucous friends (The Three Stooges). Ted is able to get the show ready for presentation, but during the main number the Three Stooges slip beneath the enormous hoopskirt costume worn by the leading vocalist. They emerge on stage during the performance, ruining the show.
ProductionOriginally planned under the title Back Stage, Hello Pop! was the third of five short films made by MGM featuring the vaudeville act billed as “Ted Healy and His Stooges.” The act focused primarily on Healy’s wit and caustic commentary, with the Stooges receiving the brunt of the physical slapstick. For the MGM short films, actress Bonnie Bonnell was incorporated into the configuration as Healy’s love interest.
Hello Pop! was the second of two MGM Stooge shorts filmed utilized the two-color Technicolor process. (Nertsery Rhymes, the act’s first film for MGM, was also shot in color.) The use of color was predicated by the decision to recycle two musical numbers from earlier Technicolor-lensed MGM films into the Hello Pop! musical sequences, the Irving Berlin song "I'm Sailing on a Sunbeam", from the 1929 film It’s a Great Life, and the "Moon Ballet" sequence from the unreleased MGM feature The March of Time.
Lost filmIn the 1930s, studios were offered their two-color negatives by Technicolor, who was at that time storing them. Most studios declined the offer, the camera negatives were junked, and original release prints usually disposed of shortly after a theatrical run. A print existed in MGM's Vault #7, but was destroyed by fire in 1967.
In January 2013, it was announced that Hello Pop! had been located in an Australian private film collection and was in the process of being restored for public viewing. It will reportedly be screened at the Film Forum in New York City, on 30 September 2013.
- Ted Healy as Father
- Moe Howard as Son
- Larry Fine as Son
- Curly Howard as Son
- Bonnie Bonnell as Bonnie
- Henry Armetta as Italian Musician
- Edward Brophy as Brophy
- Rosetta Duncan as Singer/Dancer
- Vivian Duncan as Singer/Dancer
- The Albertina Rasch Girls as Themselves
- Tiny Sandford as Strongman
- Three Stooges film found in Australian garden shed Sydney Morning Herald , 29 September 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2013
- Lenburg, Jeff, Maurer, Joan Howard, and Lenburg, Greg, "The Three Stooges Scrapbook." Page 226. Citadel Press. ISBN 0-8065-0946-5]
- Howard, Moe, "Moe Howard and The 3 Stooges." Page 64. Citadel Press. ISBN 0-8065-0723-3
- The Three Stooges Journal
- Three Stooges film discovered in garden shed The Guardian, 30 September 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2013.