Thursday, January 18, 2018

Bats In His Belfry And Mine






The appearance of Batman's nemesis "The Joker" was based on a character named Gwynplaine in the 1928 film THE MAN WHO LAUGHS. Accounts differ as to who originally came up with the character, but all seem to agree on the source of inspiration for the character's appearance.






A comparison of the Joker and Gwynplaine as played by Veidt.



This is a well-known story, but I don't know if there's anything on this in the Alan Moore book.  Maybe there just wasn't anything in Donati's book about Conrad Veidt that he could steal.

There's more. Alan Moore swiped stuff from Donati's book, but I was one of the people who helped Donati with his book. He repeated a little of what I had written before, so you could even say that I wrote a little of that book. And I've been Batman a couple of times in parades. So it was like Batman wrote some of the book that Moore ripped off for his own book, which attempted to portray Batman as a villain even thought he denied that any wrongdoing had actually been done.

It makes you think, but it makes me think that I don't want to think about it any more.




Conrad Veidt:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0891998/

Conrad Veidt And The Joker:
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/13468/the-man-who-was-the-joker

A

No comments:

Post a Comment